COMPOSERS COURSE INFORMATION
Stockholm Chamber Brass has always been committed to the commissioning of new work for quintet by both young and established composers alike. The first commission was made in 1990 and since then over 50 compositions have been written or the group, with more currently in development! Through the constant programming and recording of these works, many of the Stockholm Chamber Brass commissions have gone on to become the most frequently performed original works for brass quintet around the world. Notable composers to write for the group include Anders Hillborg, Sven David Sandström, Mike Svoboda, Cathy Milliken, Karin Rehnquist, Christian Lindberg, Eino Tamberg and Piers Hellawell.
The quintet felt it was time that their academy students also had the chance to experience new works for their own ensembles and so the Stockholm Chamber Brass Academy Composers Course was created!
Throughout the Stockholm Chamber Brass Academy week every composition student will receive the following:
• The chance to compose a work for brass ensemble of between 5-10 minutes in duration which will be premiered at the Academy
• Individual and Group lessons every day with our composition teacher, Cathy Milliken, working on a brand new piece for brass ensemble
• Daily rehearsals on your piece with one of the course's brass ensembles
• A public concert of the 5 new pieces by the Composition Course students
• A video and audio recording of your new piece
To apply for the Stockholm Chamber Brass Academy Composition Course each composer will need to:
• Complete the Composition Course application form - found here
They will then be requested to submit:
• A short curriculum vitae or biography
• 2 compositions in PDF form of two compositions for different instrumental or vocal settings
• Links to recordings of the compositions is desirable but not necessary
PLEASE NOTE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 1ST MARCH 2020
A sample schedule of the coaching process can be found below although this will be finalised once all of the composers for the academy have been chosen.
• The participants will receive a writing for brass PDF with specific information and examples for composing for brass and a first skype coaching session in March
• Sketches will be coached via Skype in March
• Compositions coached via Skype in May
• Score and parts are expected by the 15th of June
To see the compositions and their premieres from previous years please visit the archive section of this website.